USA Dance - Motions for World DanceSport Federation Annual General Meeting in Berlin, June 16-17, 2012
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM USA DANCE
Since our inception more than 40 years ago and now with 174 growing chapters, USA Dance represents and supports all dancers and dance enthusiasts throughout our country, providing guidance and resources for continued growth and positive impact on our communities.
We also represent, both at home and abroad, our fast-growing segment of competitive dancers and today lead as The Official National Governing Body for DanceSport for the United States. And it is important to know that USA Dance is the only dancesport body in the USA recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee under the provisions of the Amateur Sports Act of the United States Congress.
As our country’s USOC member, an appointment of great honor and responsibility, USA Dance becomes part of the Olympic dream movement for DanceSport. As a result, we are one of 90+ countries around the world who are members of the World DanceSport Federation (WDSF), which is the only International Federation of Dance recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
USA DANCE believes in this foundation and is proud to represent all U.S. DanceSport Athletes and Social Dancers in pursuit of excellence, unity and positive change. Therefore, on the agenda at the upcoming World DanceSport Federation AGM (Annual General Meeting) in Berlin, June 16-17, 2012, USA Dance, together with other like-minded countries, has initiated two motions for discussion, consideration and ruling by the WDSF.
(1) Motion to Revise the DanceSport Rulebook and
(2) Motion to Revise the Code.
The more globally significant Code Revision Motion, also referred to as "Motion to Modify the WDSF Athletes' Code of Conduct and Standards of Ethics", was co-authoried by USA Dance and seven additional WDSF member bodies -- Canadian Amateur DanceSport Association (CADA), Deutscher Tanzsportverband e.V., (DTV), Svenska Danssportförbundet (Sweden), New Zealand DanceSport Assoc. (NZDA), Finnish Dance Sport Association (FDSA), Icelandic Dance Sport Federation (DSI) and DanceSport Wales Danmarks Sportdanserforbund (DS).
Representing USA Dance at the AGM in Berlin will be both Vice President of DanceSport Ken Richards and USA Dance President Lydia Scardina.
NOTE: Both motions (too detailed for this section) can be found on the USA Dance website www.usadance.org and on the WDSF website under AGM Berlin June 2012. Our members are encouraged to read these online so that they are properly informed about their organization and our role in the industry.
# # #
USA Dance, Inc. is a democratic, multi-sports non-profit 501c3 organization, serving all dancers throughout our country. We are member-driven and focused and comprised of inspired leaders, ambassadors and talented, passionate supporters of dance, who are dedicated to promoting the highest quality of ballroom dancing opportunity for everyone and supporting the global movement to bring DanceSport to the Olympic Family of Events
USA Dance believes we are all measured by our actions and that we have achieved much through the support and unity of purpose of our members:
- A Non-Profit 501c3 Organization, Historically Led by Talented, Dedicated Volunteers Serving With Sustained Dedication on the Executive and Governing Councils and at Chapter and District Levels.
- Financially Supported by Nearly 22,000 Members, Who Have a Vote, and by Patrons and Corporate Sponsors from Around the World.
- Operating Approximately 175 Local Chapters Throughout The USA With an Outreach of Nearly 250,000 Professional and Amateur Dancers and Dance Supporters in the USA.
- For the Past 32 Years, Organizing the Official USA Dance National DanceSport Championships, Awarding National Championship Titles and Selecting the Official USA World Teams for WDSF Championships and Games.
- And Further Nominating Couples for the World Games held under IOC Recognition, including the 2009 World Games in Taipei and the Upcoming 2013 World Games in Colombia.
- Providing More Than $100,000 in Annual Scholarships to USA National Champions and World Teams and Additional Funding for the Upcoming USA Dance-Sponsored World Team DanceSport Training Camp at U.S. Olympic Facilities.
- Organizing the USA National Collegiate DanceSport Championships, Crowning the Top Collegiate Dancers in the USA
- Organizing 12 National Qualifying Events across the USA for Increased DanceSport Experience and Qualification for the National DanceSport Championships.
- Organizing the Special Olympics DanceSport Championships.
- Supporting Thousands of Community, Charity and Educational Programs throughout the USA, from Special Olympics and Wounded Warriors to After-School K-12 Dance Programs and Other Local Causes.
- Hosting Annually the WDSF Adjudicator’s Congress in the USA for Continued Education of Judges Seeking International License.
Above all else, we appreciate your support and dedication.
Together, we are USA Dance!
|In order to properly view these files, you may need to download and install the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader.|