- USA Dance will be conducting an election this fall for the following Governing Council positions for the 2014-2016 term of office.…more »
- Ernest Borel announced this week its national brand alliance and sponsorship agreement with USA Dance, Inc., the National Governing Body for DanceSport.…more »
- SAVE THESE DATES - MAY 22-26, 2013 USA DANCE ANNOUNCES JUNIOR II AND YOUTH WORLD TEAM DANCE CAMP PLANNED AT U.S. OLYMPIC TRAINING CENTER, LAKE PLACID, NY…more »
Explore the Wonderful World of Ballroom Dancing for students in grades K-12. Partner Dance, aka Ballroom Dancing, offers children and teens an opportunity to learn a new skill, increase self-confidence, improve social skills including teamwork and partnership, to exercise, and most of all, HAVE FUN! Ballroom dancing provides a foundation for a lifetime of social interaction and exercise.
Dance plays an integral role in meeting National Standards for both Physical Education and Arts (Music). USA Dance, through its network of 180 chapters, fosters partnered (ballroom) dancing for all ages, including children and teens. Our chapters are ready, willing, and able to assist students, parents, and educators in building dance programs within their communities. Materials on this site are also available for use where there are not established USA Dance chapters. The USA Dance School Dance Program encompasses lessons and extra-curricular clubs which provide opportunities for young people to expand or practice the skills they have acquired, socialize, and exercise.
Ballroom dancing is a great teacher...
- it teaches relationships necessary in close teamwork;
- it teaches discipline through practice and routines;
- it teaches an appreciation and further understanding of music's rhythm and temp;
- it teaches economics and fluidity in movement;
- it teaches poise and balance; it teaches self-confidence;
- it teaches good dress and appearance.
- it teaches a skill and ability that will be very useful all throughout life - in social situations, in business growth, and in offering a great exercise.
Physically, the general conditioning that ballroom dancing provides will benefit you in many ways. If you practice regularly, you will build stamina equal to that of soccer players or runners. You will acquire far more lasting physical stamina than football or baseball players who "stop and start" rather than continuously move.
Another plus is that ballroom dancing will provide excellent physical condition without risk of injury inherent in most physical sports.
With dance, you will become involved with disciplines and movements that can instill innate knowledge of body dynamics and skills that may enhance your life in many ways. Mutually engaging in dance with a partner requires balance, synchronized and coordinated movement, and develops prime and usable body skills.
Mentally you will find great satisfaction in the achievements afforded by dancing - whether as a "great dancer" in social situations, or participating in a hotly contested competition. Students are greatly drawn to competition endeavor. Unknown to most, dancing offers keen and top-grade competition in formation teams, team matches, and couple dancing.
Ballroom dance teams usually include top academic leaders of the school or college. They are attracted to ballroom dancing by both the physical and mental challenge. Ballroom dance clubs provide a great social network in a controlled environment that is free of smoking, alcohol, and drugs.
Ballroom dancing will stretch your thinking and the "do-it" abilities. As your dancing improves, the sense of achievement will build confidence and pride. The teamwork needed to dance with a partner, as well as with a formation team, is mutually stimulating to concentration and learning. Regardless of your age, dancing will be an excellent learning experience in discipline, achievement, assuredness, and self-confidence. These favoragle attributes then will transfer to other aspects of your life and this will provide even greater benefits in your future. When you dance you will enjoy it and thrive.
You will feel emotionally better when you find yourself more socially acceptable, which dancing will help. Socially, you will discover a new alliance with the opposite sex, an alliance built on courtesy, consideration, and mutual achievement.
As a good dancer you will find yourself much appreciated at social functions and always popular. This will build "social confidence."
Ballroom dancing, a valuable lifetime social skill, will provide much joy and be useful furing your entire life. It is a skill to be learned, practiced, used frequently, and treasured.